Beets are definitely one of the most magical vegetables in my honest opinion. The taste, smell, and flavour of a beet is one of the most interesting profiles a vegetable has to offer. It can be bitter, sweet, and tangy depending on the methods of cooking it is put through. I even recently have seen that Michael Blackie has used a dehydrator in order to make beet salt. I mean a beet can be boiled, roasted, pan fried, and even deep fried and the profile still stands up. I mean hell you can even pickle a beet and its magical. It can be eaten cold or hot and it's still magical. A beet also has a very long season and can be found fresh through most months of the year.
Here are a few ideas for beets:
- Mix them into your next batch of mashed potatoes
- Boil them off and let em chill and served with some goat cheese or creme fraiche
- Goulash and soups
- Pickle them and serve em with some gravlax and smoked salmon
- Hell even mash em into a gnocchi mix and let it turn a beautiful red
- The water is also a great natural colouring agent
Anyways, I'd love to hear your experiences with beets and ideas you may have. So drop that sweet beet!
P.S I know I used magical a few..... times wait until I do a post on Heirloom tomatoes and then you'll see the sparks fly