Saturday 5 March 2011

Lets.Talk.Ribs

Ribs, Ribs, Ribs.

So Barbecue actually happens to be one of my favourite styles of cooking and my other high fine french. Quite a contrast yes, but in fact they do indeed have many similarities. Both can require focused and long cooking times, using sauces to enhance the protein, and they have been passed down over generations. Anyways lets talk ribs more specifically back ribs. Here is a quick recipe for when you don't have a smoker and want that cooked all day texture.

I am not going to post specefic mesasurements cause hell its barbeque and you can adjust according your tastes. Now there is two main ways I liked to do my ribs up either give em a run and finish em in an hour for a while or the simmer method. The simmer method is prefered for those trying to get the same desired finish each time.So here are the steps.

1. Take your ribs out and flip em onto their backside. Removed the thin layer of membrane which you can with a fork it should peel right off. This technique removes the tough gristle.

2. Fill a large sauce pan with pork stock or water and add a mixture of spices whatever you prefer. I tend to use cayenne, garlic salt, touch of cumin, and celery salt. Bring it to a boil and try to dissolve the spices as much as possible. Drop it to a simmer.

3. Drop your ribs in in 1/2 to 1/4 sections depending on the size of your pan. Let cook for 1 - 2 hours whatever you have time for.

4. Heat your oven to 375F. Take out ribs after desired time and place on a flat baking sheet.Let cool and dry.

5. Apply your favourite homemade BBQ sauce and be sure to experiment with sauces. There are tons of different styles take the time and research N.C,S.C, Texas, and Kansas City style sauces.

6. Let them cook for 1 hour and apply sauce every 15 mins. Alternative you could finish on a grill but thats not my style.

Notes: This by no means gives you an authentic style BBQ of the south which are long smoked and never touch a grill, but for home cooks its not a half bad recipe. I am going to potentially do a recipie for traditional southern ribs but I need to get my smoker fired up before I do that.

Serve with some potato salad or slaw and its a rockin good time.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I've only ever finished back ribs on the barbecue but I just may try this method of finishing them in the oven,especially now when it's still too cold for me to stand outside to cook. Just reading this made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete